Resizing Reiser

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Aug 12 16:12:38 CDT 2004

Were you booted to the LiveCD at the time you ran this last night?  You were talking in IRC about
looking for the file on the CD, but you never said you booted to it.  I think the idea might be
that you are not using the swap or other partition at the time you are resizing.  Knoppix will use
a swap partition if it finds one unless you use the "no swap" option at the boot prompt thus:
"knoppix noswap".

Brian Kelsay

On Thu, August 12, 2004 10:33 am, Brian Kelsay said:

> Well, keep in mind that your system was unuseable in the first place.
> Those tools are meant to shrink or expand working partitions to a new
> size, not to fix screwups in the partition table or overlaps like you >
> had.

As far as I could tell prior to running the tools to try to resize the
partitions, originally created with fdisk, there were no problems, and the
system was fairly usable.  I was running a web site with squirrelmail,
MySQL, and some other goodies.  I think the tools may be complaining about
the last partition, which aligns by sector instead of cylinder (if at
all).

The problem was that 9 out of 10 times emerge sync would fail, and maybe 2
out of 3 emerge <package> runs would fail, aparantly because of the
existing but tiny swap space.  The goal was to achieve a more reasonable
swap space, and the result was an unbootable system.

The tools did not touch the /boot partition.