Knoppix

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Aug 12 15:49:21 CDT 2004

An online LiveCD builder would be sweet.  I think I heard some guys were working on something like
this.  I've seen a couple of websites that build a custom firewall floppy.  If you had a full
Debian mirror available and have the web app add the selected programs to a group that is in turn
fed to cloop to compress and then fed to mkisofs, then have it save to a new directory that has
your name from the online form, then email you when it was done with the path to the new iso.  Any
of you programmers want to take this on?
Could Java do this?  I think so.  Or a php or python script.  Making the user interface would
probably be the hardest part.

Brian, which version did you try to install to disk?  I used 3.4 - 5/17/2004 and it worked fine. I
have had to tweak the /etc/apt/sources.list to make it point to US mirrors and drop some of the
weird apt-pinnings.  It has one of the most complicated sources.list I've ever seen.  Very
difficult to follow if you are new to Debian.  It could use  a few more comments.  That and I have
encountered several things in German, even though I got the EN version.  One thing was a network
config app I believe.  I guess I just need to learn a bit of German, huh?

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> 08/12/04 11:05AM >>>
I'm waiting for an "official debian" live-cd.
Or maybe a website where you can build a custom
live-cd to download.
But I'd agree Knoppix is a very excellent Linux demo CD,
simply because it has it all. I've had issues actually
installing it to disk. Probably my own fault, somehow.