Resizing Reiser

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Aug 12 13:00:48 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 01:54 pm, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> Under Knoppix 3.1, 3.3 and 3.4 I have used QTParted.

Well, I found resize_reiser on an older (probably knoppix3.1 based) iso, and
used that.  I then ran qtparted off of a knoppix 3.3, and resized the main
(/) and swap partitions (hda2 & hda3 respectively).

reiserfsck then said that hda2 was in bad shape and needed to be run with
--rebuild-tree, which I did.  I can mount it and see files on it.

Unfortunately, when I boot (from hda1), I get "loading Linux", then return to
the BIOS.  Curiously, I have a non-booting kernel there too, and when I load
it I get a lot more of a boot, right up to "unable to load filesystem", which
is where it always panicked before.

This tells me that it may be the system map that's no-longer valid, and that I
might be able to either re-run lilo, or re-compile the original kernel using
the gentoo install docs as a guideline.  We'll see what happens.

Essentially, while the tools I found claim to have resized the reiser
partition successfully, they left corruption in their wake and made the
system unbootable.  YMMV.