Resizing Reiser

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Aug 11 17:57:22 CDT 2004

Under Knoppix 3.1, 3.3 and 3.4 I have used QTParted.  If you want a smaller ISO that uses QTParted,
then go after http://www.sysresccd.org/ .  It supports Reiser, ext2/3, xfs, jfs, vfat, ntfs,
iso9660.

  "QtParted and PartGui This is the most interesting feature of this CDRom. You can use these two
graphical partition tools without XFree86 (they work with QtEmbedded). They can be considered as
the best free PartitionMagic clones for Linux. They allow you to see a chart of your hard disk,
create, format, delete, and modify partitions. You must start with the Frame Buffer in order for
these utilities to work well. PartGui is not developed anymore, then QtParted is the best choice."

IIRC you must launch start QTParted by "run_qtparted" from the CLI. after booting into framebuffer
mode as seen in the above quote.

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Jonathan Hutchins" <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> 08/11/04 11:46AM >>>
I have recently realized that the reason I'm getting so many aborted
"emerge" sessions on my gentoo box is probably because the swap partition
is set to about 16K. (Various utilities report variations on the exact
number.)

This was just an oops when formatting the drive - I like to put the swap
at the end, and sometimes I cound on my fingers wrong when figuring where
it should start and end by cylinder.

So I'd like to resize the main partition on this 120G ATA drive, but I
can't find anything that will touch it.

Partition Magic 8 just grays out the option for resizing.

I have a Linux Defender CD based on a 2003 release of Knoppix, and it has
nparted on it, but it makes several complaints about the partition table
not being written correctly, and when I try to "edit" the main partition,
it says it can't get it's "final geography" (if I recall correctly).

So what's next?  Do I try to download a newer knoppix, and see if it
handles the larger drive better?  Do I try to find something to fix that
"bad partition table"?

I did try turning off "ide translation" in  the BIOS, which did not seem
to have any effect.

Suggestions, non-bittorrent sources for good knoppix images, are hereby
solicited.