Redhat 8/9 or FreeBSD 5.2.1 on ASUS PC-DL Deluxe, anyone?

Micke Ohrberg micke at kc.rr.com
Sun Aug 8 04:42:58 CDT 2004

Hello Jason,

Saturday, August 7, 2004, 11:04:47 PM, you wrote:

JC> Micke Ohrberg wrote:

>>   I'm going nuts here. I have two 80G SATA drives on the Promise
>>   interfaces, 2 PC2700 DIMMs, a TNT2 AGP card, a generic 52x CDROM,
>>   and every time I try to install RedHat 8/9 I get kernel panics. That
>>   is with the disks in RAID mode on the Promise 20378 controller. I
>>   think it works better when building with the SATA controllers
>>   'emulating' PATA.
>>

JC> Buy the 3Ware two port SATA, hardware RAID controller for $100 and be
JC> done with it. IIRC, the Promise isn't truely hardware RAID anyways.

Well, if it was that simple :) I just don't understand it - There are
drivers for the chipset, and HT shouldn't be a problem with RH9. It
just completely wigs out. I just don't get it. *sigh* I'm going to try
with some different memory. Maybe the speed is wrong for it...

In short - I don't think it has anything to do with the chipset. I
think it's something else entirely.

--
Best regards,
 Micke                            mailto:micke at kc.rr.com