Linux on the Radio

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Aug 2 19:26:27 CDT 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>First off, Computer Depot is simply the sponsor of this program - they
>don't have creative input.  If you want to do something about it, find out
>who is _producing_ the show, and talk to them about getting better people
>on it.

No, Dale is the owner and primary host; Greg is the lead tech and
secondary host. This makes them wholly responsible for the content of
the show.

>Second, while I haven't heard that particular show,

Clearly.

> I've heard a number of
>them on NPR.  KCUR carries NPR's "Talk of the Nation", which will
>occasionally bring in some "computer expert".  Since "computer expert" is
>mainly defined as someone who knows more about computers than the show's
>producers, the bar is pretty low.

They do it about once a month on Science Friday and the guest is always
well qualified. They once featured Bruce Perens, for instance, on an
entire hour dedicated to open source.

>KCUR's "Walt Bodine Show" also has an occasional feature called "The
>Computer Guys", which has a local Apple fanatic and some Windows
>consultant who give low-level advice.  These people have the level of
>expertise you might expect of the average business manager.

Yes, this show is, perhaps, equally irresponsible. If I had more energy
I might include their guests in a boycott, too.

>The latter show is actually a place where we, as a Linux Community, might
>do some good.

How so?

>If you're really interested in this, if you have some credentials that
>might get them to listen to you, and if you're not some raving fanatic
>who's out to bash Microsoft, trash RedHat, and otherwise spread FUD (or
>counter-FUD), I can get you in touch with the right people.  (Or you can
>probably figure it out for yourself.)

I already have one radio show, thanks.

>Meanwhile, let's go ahead and let the kind of people who get their
>computer advice off of AM radio shows run Windows.  They deserve it.

Hum... scorched earth philosophy. Great idea. Pardon me if I don't jump
all over it.