GENTOO installation manual confusion

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at gekl.net
Tue Oct 28 23:07:59 CST 2003

jmneedham at kc.rr.com wrote:

>Upon trying to install it the first time, it did not see my DVD+RW and it did see
>my DVD-ROM (there are two DVD-ROM drives in the machine on the IDE chain)... also it
>did not "see" the wireless card (for review:  A Linksys WMP11 Version 4).

did you add line like hda=ide-scsi to your kernel in grub (hd* being
what the device is for the dvd burner), i usually just run dmesg and
look for kerenl message about device, you could poke around /proc or
someone else might know a better way.

>I now after muddling through the almost cryptic installation instructions (I am still a
>Novice in Linux) I have come to believe what I want to do (correct me if I am wrong here
>those of you who have used and use Gentoo) is a Stage 3 installation with GRP.  The problem
>is that I need the wireless network card working to do this.  So the question is:
>
>Do I install the Stage 3 Tarball and use the Portage Tarball on the LiveCD and then build
>the wireless into my kernel and then somehow magically get the files all updated once we have
>Internet connectivity?  ....OR.... Is there a way to configure the wireless card before we
>start installing the OS thereby having it ready to go get the Portage files from the net?  Which
>is what I would prefer to have happen...

If you have anyway of putting a nic in the machine to do the install it
would make life much easier.  You need to emerge the wireless-tools
ebuild.  Otherwise you will need to come up with some otherway to get
the wireless-tools source on the computer (goes in /usr/portage/distfiles).

You also need to make sure the wireless drivers are in kernel.  If you
plan on using genkernel, then run it as genkernel --config, and check on
what wireless modules are selected.

-Bill