Win32 Software

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Oct 28 16:50:24 CST 2003

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 10:32 am, Rusty wrote:

> > Preaching at them just confirms that we're a bunch of weird fanatics
> > following some obscure anti-Microsoft cause.

> Yes, this could be an issue I'll agree. If anyone is "preaching", that
> is. Handing out a document that allows someone the choice of reading or
> not can hardly be construed as "preaching". (and don't forget that
> millions of people voluntarily congregate weekly to be "preached" to...

Think about how you feel about people standing around handing out religious
tracts...  Maybe it's cool by you, but it turns me off.

What bugs me particularly is Jason's characterization of the software list as
a "hook" to his manifesto - a way to suck people in.  All that's going to do
is make people say "aww, this isn't a software list, it's some stupid geek
rant, I've been sucked in".  The document goes on the floor and the message
is lost.

If you want to hand out manifestos (that's not the linguistically correct
plural, but...), go ahead - but don't try to sneak them up on people.

I respectfully suggest that Jason separate and distinguish his list from his
rant - we'll win more long-term interest that way.