Win32 Software

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 16:32:21 CST 2003

--- Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:
> Well, hooking people into a "manafesto" ("manifesto"?) is a pretty
> good way to turn them off.  People don't like being preached to - as
> Mr. Clinton has demonstrated here in the past (as have I).
> Manifestos are documents of common vision for the already converted.
> People who don't have the vision yet don't want to be lectured about
> why they "should" like Open Source Software, they want to know what
>it can do for them.  Once they see that it's good, we can help them
>understand that it's the Open Source principle that makes it good.

At the risk of continuing an OT subject here (which would be better
suited to discussing over a beer or cup of coffee) - that isn't quite
an accurate definition of "manifesto". A "manifesto" is nothing more
than a public declaration of principles, policies or intentions,
(usually of a political nature). If you were to ask several people if
they've ever heard of a manifesto, you are likely to find that the only
one a lot of them will mention is Marx's "Communist Manifesto". You can
hardly make the case that it was a "common vision for the already
converted". Or Mao's "Little Red Book" (which may fit your description
better, but..)

> Preaching at them just confirms that we're a bunch of weird fanatics
> following some obscure anti-Microsoft cause.

Yes, this could be an issue I'll agree. If anyone is "preaching", that
is. Handing out a document that allows someone the choice of reading or
not can hardly be construed as "preaching". (and don't forget that
millions of people voluntarily congregate weekly to be "preached" to...
:o) )

> My, everybody seems touchy lately.  Jason at least should be used to
> me giving him a hard time by now.

If you and Mr. Clinton have an "understanding" about this kind of
thing, that's cool. Perhaps responding off list would be more suited to
that kind of communication instead of to the group? If I was out of
line to respond as I did, or if I offended you (or anyone else), then I
apologize. It just struck me last night in a way that prompted me to
respond.

Now I'll go back to sitting on the sidelines and listening. Peace.