Do you know your schedule for ITEC yet?

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Mon Oct 27 00:05:30 CST 2003

"Zscoundrel" <zscoundrel at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> If the group insists on making an interoperability demo between the
> OS's, please, please, PLEASE be sure that we have the proper CD's, books
> and licenses for ALL of the proprietary software on the 'doze box on
> site, just in case we get a visit from the copyright police.  Oh, and
> don't forget to check the EULA to make sure that you are ALLOWED to make
> an interoperability demo using 'doze software.

  Good advice, but I think the interop demo is important because people need
to know they don't have to jump into Linux with both feet and abandon their
Windows software/data/training investment all at once.  A lot of people
think that it truly is all-or-nothing.  We need to show them that they are
NOT locked into buying another Windows server just because they have Windows
PCs in order to run one or two apps their organization relies on.

  Telling them that half the websites they access with their WinPCs are
actually running Linux is one thing... SHOWING them a Windows machine
accessing files on a Samba server, where they can't tell that it is one, is
another.

  Explaining the way that things like VNC work is one thing... Letting them
use a demo Win machine, or plug in their own laptop, to run VNC to access an
X session on a Linux machine, is another.

  It might be a good idea to physically locate the Windows machine separate
from the rest of the booth, to make it clear that it's not Linux per se, but
just proof that Linux plays well with other OSes.