Whois

Andrew Moore amoore at mooresystems.com
Thu Oct 23 15:48:22 CDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 08:18:03AM -0500, ismgr wrote:
> What's the most efficient way to look up a source IP, or what's a good network
> utility to use?

ARIN is the authority responisible for IP address
stuff. Depending on your whois tool, the format
you can use is probably whois address at whois.arin.net,
for instance: whois 4.3.2.1 at whois.arin.net will
tell you all about genuity.

Some whois clients require you to specify the
whois server with a -h flag, I believe. Probably
solaris.

I do believe that when they swip addresses out
to RIPE, the authority responsible for addresses
stuff in eurpoe that you can get more information
with a whois address at whois.ripe.net. I think there's
one for Asia as well, but I can't remember it.

There's a good web based whois at
http://www.geektools.com/whois.php

Hope it helps.

-Andy