Cron/Xwindows

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Oct 23 03:12:19 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 09:56 am, Brian Densmore wrote:

> > Realistically, how many Linux systems actually run multiple
> > display sessions?
> > I know the capacitiy is there, and I know that it's used in some
> > environments, but the majority of Linux installations are
> > single user, single
> > display systems.

> True, but Linux is a Unix derivative and thus is by design a mulituser
> system with many possible XWindows clients running siumultaneously.

It makes sense for it to evolve though, and for it to adapt to the actual
environment in which the majority of installations run, instead of a main
feature being biased toward what has become an extremely obscure application.

> Thus it would be inappropriate to *ass-u-me* only one xclient is running.

I don't agree.  This is the correct assumption in the great majority of
situations, and it can always be tested before anything proceeds.  It would
be trivial to set a flag to indicate a multi-session environment.

> Can you imagine the trouble that could happen if user joe was allowed to
> open random programs on user jane's xclient?

Why should this be an issue?  We have plenty of ways to check file and device
permissions.