X-CD-Roast

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sat Oct 18 22:38:51 CDT 2003

"Lucas Peet" <sirsky at lucastek.com> wrote:

> Another thing to try, is do a cdrecord -prcap on your drive to see if it
> supports any type of underrun error protection, I know the two machines I
> have CD burners in support burnfree or something like that, and needs to
be
> specified on the command line to enable it.  XCDRecord may not be turning
> that on.

  Just saw this in the 2.6.0-pre8 notes
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt - note the
reference to buffer underruns:

CD Recording.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Jens Axboe added the ability to use DMA for writing CDs on
  ATAPI devices. Writing CDs should be much faster than it
  was in 2.4, and also less prone to buffer underruns and the like.
- With a recent cdrecord, you also no longer need ide-scsi in order to use
  an IDE CD writer.
- Ripping audio tracks off of CDs now also uses DMA and should be
  notably faster. You can also find an updated cdda2wav at:
  *.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/tools/
- Send good/bad reports of audio extraction with cdda2wav and burning with
  the cdrecord to Jens Axboe <axboe at suse.de>
- Currently only 'open by device name' works in cdrecord.
  cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdX -inq
- More info at http://lwn.net/Articles/13538/ &
http://lwn.net/Articles/13160/