Network Mapper

Lucas Peet sirsky at lucastek.com
Wed Oct 15 16:34:41 CDT 2003

KRFinch at dstsystems.com wrote:

>You could probably macro Visio to pluck items out of the columns in the
>sheet and attach their IP's to objects and connect them.  It's beyond my
>abilities in macro-writing, but it is probably possible.  The real question
>is: would taking the time to program it to be done automatically be faster
>than just doing it manually?  How many diagrams do you have to do?

Eh, I only have to do one, and I wouldn't take the time to write a macro
just to do it...which is why I'm kinda hoping that a utility like this
already exists...a visual traceroute of sorts, but without knowing a
particular destination (IP scanner), to map out the whole network.

I'm just being kinda lazy - I don't want to have to actually trace each
strand of a rack of spaghetti by hand to get a layout of the network.
Besides, what kind of a sysadmin would I be if I weren't lazy?  ;-)