linux PVR's

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Oct 11 01:45:46 CDT 2003

Scott Smith wrote:

> Your tuner card wouldn't be doing the tuning, you'd simply get input
> on channel 3 or whatever from the digital cable box and change
> channels on it.
>
> Someone correct me if there's another way of doing this, but I can't
> think of one. My tivo worked around this by having an IR transmitter
> that you hung over your cable / satellite receiver so the tivo could
> change the channel.
>
> Scott
>
> Ben Coffman wrote:
>
>> What would happen if I had digital cable and it had more then 125
>> channels.  Is it possible to get a tv input card that supports up to
>> 999?

You use something called an IR Blaster to change the channel on the
digital cable box.  The Tivo has to do the same thing.

That said, I HATE digital cable.   I got a crappy signal, it cut out a
bunch, it went completely out more often than regular cable, I HATE
having an extra box, the box DIED on a daily basis and had to be powered
down and back up (usually during my favorite show or just during prime
time), you can only watch it on one tv or any w/ a box (see hating
having the extra box), no more movies than regular cable, the music
stations SUCKED (muzak in 20 different categories) and other stuff I
couldn't stand but can't think of right now.