Command Compatibility

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Oct 9 15:38:27 CDT 2003

On Thursday 09 October 2003 3:19 pm, Jason Clinton wrote:

> >The question comes up because a recent version of OS-X does NOT understand
> >"dir".

> clintonj at athena clintonj $ which dir
> /bin/dir
> clintonj at athena clintonj $ qpkg -f /bin/dir
> sys-apps/coreutils *

On my mandrake box it's /usr/bin/dir, which is from coreutils-4.5.7-1mdk,
which I found just after pressing "send".

I remember discovering this before, and wondering why it was a binary and not
just an alias for "ls", but deciding it wasn't worth persuing.

Which begs the question: what's the equivalent package for OS-X?