Front Page Extensions

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Oct 6 16:54:41 CDT 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>Last I looked, MS Front Page was coming around and starting to work better
>with non-MS servers.  What's the current status?  Do "Front Page Extensions"
>still offer any functionality to a web page, or are they just a convenience
>for low-level users in uploading the pages?

They're still evil(tm), but they do offer some functionality such as
dynamic date stamping, form submittal, and rudimentary server side
includes -- all things that can be handled with a little knowledge of
web technology. They are available for purchase from Microsoft and will
work with Apache. However, I expect the product will die the instant MS
has 50.0001% of the market share in web servers.

If your users insist on using FrontPage (as the ones I work with do),
Apache w/ the FP extensions is probably your safest bet. I have had some
success, however, moving those users to Dreamweaver after I explained
that Dreamweaver will work with any web server out there.