OT: Driving a car -> Voting Machines

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 04:04:30 CST 2003

Jim Herrmann wrote:

> For all the low down on voting machine irregularities and ballot
> tampering, check out http://blackboxvoting.com/.  I've got a really
> bad feeling about 2004.  When they control the voting machines and the
> media, our democracy is doomed, which I think has already happened.
>
> Open source software voting machines with a printed paper trail is the
> only way to proceed with electronic voting.  There.  That brings it on
> topic.

Jim, why didn't the voting machines make a bigger part of the issue than
the "hanging chads".  Actually this is the first I've heard of them
being used in the last pres. election.   I agree w/ the need for
auditable voting machines, for getting the contract to a more competent
company etc.  There needs to be audits performed by the GAO on whatever
firm is chosen.

That stuff about controlling the media swings both ways.  I've heard
more accusations of the left controlling the media than the right.   Me,
I'm way over here in the back 40.  I pick and choose who I vote for.   I
don't really trust all the conspiracy theorist about Diebold trying to
'fix' the election, but I do believe the stuff about the incompetence of
the repairmen and troubleshooters.  I read some of the docs at that
college site posted to slashdot.  Plain and simple, the machines were
put out too soon.  "It's in beta testing?  Ship it!"

I also believe in the innate stupidity (I know it sounds harsh) of
people.  Sure the ballot in FL might have been a little confusing, but
you have to read the blasted thing and I believe you can ask the
election officials to clarify the ballot if necessary.  Just imagine the
ballot for the CA governor recall.  They had about 130 people on there
and had to randomize the names, almost needed 2 cards to get all the
choices on there.   What a nightmare for the election commission.   I'm
surprised they had the counts as soon as they did.