OT: Driving a car just got more dangerous

Rick Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 26 18:16:19 CST 2003

>Well it goes beyond just not being secure. There are several issues involved.
>Among others they have been found to be not functioning, have needed to be
>fixed during an election, have had fixes applied and not had the fixes certified by
>the local elections board, have taken out machines during voting and applied patches
>at Diebold company locations, there is no paper trail. There are also indications
>that some election results are either invalid, recorded improperly, or have been erased
>by people both in the election board and in Diebold employees. There was even one
>machine that recorded a *negative* vote of something like 2000 for(against?) Gore in
>Florida in the 2000 election. I've seen lots of different types of voting methods
>in my 25 years of voting, but I've never seen an option to vote against one candidate.
>How does one cast a negative vote? Oh yeah and the CEO of Diebold is quite proud of
>saying he will deliver elections to Republican candidates. IIRC
>
>Sorry for the rant, I guess someone pushed a button. ;)

 From automobiles to voting machines, a worthy OT rant. While mildly
amused with the thought that the folks who brought the world the BSOD
and other "crashes" could have their product creep into our automobiles,
the electronic voting issue has had my more serious attention lately.

While looking at a few of the Slashdot references, I found this
initiative in the open-source community: