HTPC hardware

brad brad at bradandkim.net
Tue Nov 25 22:08:48 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 15:49, Kris Bodenheimer wrote:
> One thing I might caution you about, when dealing with raid controllers,
>   is that that mulitple hardware raid controller cards can fight with
> each other.  Especially in the IDE Raid stuff.  It is typically a
> driver/module issue, but I have seen it happen in linux and in windows.
>   What's worse, is often the cards will appear to be great, but then
> begin to blow chunks once under heavy load.  Just something to look out
> for.  Kris

Good to know.  I have worked with RAID but only SCSI in the server
environment.  We typically have 2 RAID controllers (1 onboard and 1
card) but we have never had that problem.  I was just reading that
striping is even faster if you have 1 controller per disk (makes perfect
sense) so I was considering multiple cards.  Might have to look into
that more before I do.

Thanks,

Brad