HTPC hardware

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Nov 25 20:49:39 CST 2003

Yes, with a PCI RAID when the board goes south,
all you need do is replace is the bad card. With the
all-in-one system if one part goes out, you are left with
a partially functioning board that if you are lucky
you can disable the onboard piece of hardware  and install
an add-on board. Worst case scenario in the all-in-one
solution is you need to replace the MB and RAID card
because you can't disable the broken RAID controller /or
you need to replace the MB. But I know people who swear
by them. so you pay your fee and take your chances. I
hadn't read that HW RAID was any better than SW RAID.
I have seen the argument, but never any proof.
To the best of my knowledge it is an Urban Myth. I do
recall seeing a comparison done somewhere and the numbers,
IIRC, were inconclusive. [now watch someone on the list
will find some evidence to prove me dead wrong]

Brian