NFS and mountable filesystems

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Tue Nov 25 14:18:58 CST 2003

Is there a special deal with NFS and mountable filesystems (like a cdrom
or internal zip drive)?

I have NFS working fine with all my /home/* directories. My UIDs and
GIDs are okay. Permissions seem to be set fine. But, when I ssh into my
server and mount (for example) my internal zip250, I can't (from my
desktop) mount that zip250 as an nfs filesystem. It denies and gives
permissions as the reason (but, like I said, it seems to me that all is
well with IDs and chmod type permissions).

Or, it could be that I'm just stupid (and feel free to say so). Should I
basically use NFS for /home directories or other filesystems that mount
a boot time, leaving the mountable stuff (like my cdrom and zip250)
accessible via ssh or vnc? just use ssh or vnc to copy or move files to
whichever home dir I needed to? I still learning NFS, so I'm not really
with-it in regards to concepts and how stuff should be handled.

How to actually mount the dang drives with NFS has me kinda confused,
too. I can ssh into the server and mount. Anyone else on the LAN? No.
How do I treat these mountable filesystems to share them over a LAN?

I appreciate the help, if you have any.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4i on Red Hat 8.0 Linux