Linux Space

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Nov 25 06:13:47 CST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:46:06 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:
> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>
> > How much HD space does your favorite Linux distro take?
> >
> > Looks like Mandrake 9.2 with some bells and whistles is
> > using 2.6G. 3.5 available on my laptop....
>
> 1.38GB on my Morphix laptop install.  I intend to pare it
> down some.

I stuck Slackware 9.1 on my system using 1.2GB.  Now, thats with X but
without GNOME or KDE.  I did include all the development tools but not
the kernel source (2.4.22).  I left out Mozilla and Netscape too,
figuring either one was too big for the system resources.

Even with a swap partition I still had 1.8GB free for the system, and
there's 527MB free for anything else.

When I plan on a machine being a general purpose do-a-lot machine, I
allocate at least 2GB for /usr, 50MB for /boot (too much but still
small), and 1GB for / if I'm going to create a separate /home directory.
I usually don't bother with a /var for a personal use machine, as once
you pull /usr and /home out of /, whatever is in / ends up taking less
than 10% of the space.

Most distros will do a nearly full install into 2GB /usr.