Debian install

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Fri Nov 21 03:36:32 CST 2003

Brian Densmore wrote:

>Success!
>After a failed attempt installing
>Knoppix and Morphix, I successfully installed debian
>yesterday using a minimal debian distro called Bonzai
>Linux. Admittedly it was a rather slow text based install.
><snip>

There is also DamnSmallLinux.org  it is about a 50MB download, uses
fluxbox and has a great set of apps included for its size.

>on the system. Debian puts a number of things in strange
>places. Nice thing is this runs a little faster now, because
>I use a lighter desktop. The future will tell if it stays
>that way after I add some KDE apps and open-office, etc.
>Maybe even qcad (just for torture's sake ;)). There was
>only one little glitch, when I tried to install Mozilla, I
>got an error message that apt couldn't find one of the bundles
>it was looking for. It also told me to try a couple of things,
>which worked. So it seems to have handled the 'dependency-hell'
>pretty good, so far. anyone out there used xfce extensively?
>Any quick pointers on customizing the taskbar.

I read somewhere yesterday that the panel can be configed via an XML
file.  You can also right click on the panel and add app launchers, a
clock, etc.   There are goodies and extra utils available from the
xfce.org site.   Since the config is in an xml file you could
conceivably copy the one in Morhix.
http://www.xfce.org/en/documentation.html
http://members.home.nl/xfce4/documentation/xfce4-panel.html
Those are a couple of good starting points.