Debian install

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Nov 20 16:32:03 CST 2003

Success!
After a failed attempt installing
Knoppix and Morphix, I successfully installed debian
yesterday using a minimal debian distro called Bonzai
Linux. Admittedly it was a rather slow text based install.
It did require a bit of knowledge on my part, and also
a guess or two. I haven't tried it yet but I think I
even have the sound working, at least it installed the
sound modules, which is more than I've been able to do
with Mandrake and RH. I installed the xfce WM. It's
very nice, but the Bonzai version doesn't have the
customization of Knoppix or Morphix and the install did
not have any web browsers, so the first thing I did was
edit the apt.conf file and uncommented the debian ftp site
and 'aptgetted' Mozilla and added to my taskbar.
Cool, but I foresee I have lots of customization to do
on the system. Debian puts a number of things in strange
places. Nice thing is this runs a little faster now, because
I use a lighter desktop. The future will tell if it stays
that way after I add some KDE apps and open-office, etc.
Maybe even qcad (just for torture's sake ;)). There was
only one little glitch, when I tried to install Mozilla, I
got an error message that apt couldn't find one of the bundles
it was looking for. It also told me to try a couple of things,
which worked. So it seems to have handled the 'dependency-hell'
pretty good, so far. anyone out there used xfce extensively?
Any quick pointers on customizing the taskbar.

 Brian

Windows 95 - A
32 bit extension to a
16 bit shell for a