laptop question

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Tue Nov 18 11:11:16 CST 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:08:48 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:
> Leo J Mauler wrote:
>
> >I'm sorry, I should have stated that "low-income people like me"
> >have problems with laptop installs.
> >
> > Folks who can  afford high-end laptop hardware have a better
> > time of it since the newer stuff is getting more Linux support
> > than the older laptop hardware.
> >
> > If you can afford a used laptop costing more than $150,
> > you'll have *his* experience.
> >
> > If you can't, you'll have *my* experience.
> >
> > Right now mine is choking on the Mandrake 9.1 installer
> > in *text mode*.  Four hours just to get through the
> > *language selection*.
> >
> > I'm hoping that Morphix might work better.  I'm also
> > looking into Slinky and R.U.L.E.  for low-end installs.
>
> Try the Morphix LightGUI install.  I'm using that and it is
> great on older hardware.  It also makes and easier install
> for Debian, which is what it is at its root.

I just downloaded it last night, but as my ubermachine that
does all my sound file conversions and editing (look back
through the KCLUG archive searching keywords "LP"
and "masochist" :), is also the machine which has the CD
Burner, I'm waiting to finish a particularly large LP to
MP3 conversion project before burning the Morphix CD
(an entire Gilbert and Sullivan opera from LP to MP3).

>And I could help you since I've already been messing
> w/ it since the summer.  You would also have the help
> of all the Debian folks here.   Just a thought.  If you
> need a copy burned for you, let me know before the
> meeting or I'll just let you have mine.  Hope to
> see you Tuesday.

Frankly I was hoping, when I first got into the list here, that
there was some automated "hey you fool, there's a meeting
this week!  don't miss it like you missed the last dozen!"
message emailed out a few days before the meeting.  These
days I'm hardly ever browsing in a web browser for, well,
just about anything.