Follow-up on SUSE laptop stuff

Richard A. Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 18 08:15:54 CST 2003

Back to trying to make the SUSE 9.0 behave on the laptop.

Played with the resolution (to 1024 X 768) in SaX2 (not a virtual
resolution tweak, but it was worth a try ;-) ) and ended up with a *full
screen* on the Toshiba laptop. No more small screen with thick black
border. Thought I had tried that before, but I think what happened is I
originally selected the wrong HZ setting, and perhaps I was spared the
agony of permanently screwing up my screen by some built-in safety
protocol. Just a wild newbie guess, and I have no investment in that
being the answer. S*** ... maybe I just didn't save my changes the first
time.

I now have sounds after installing the entire Gnome system. That's all I
did ... nothing else. Sounds are now working in KDE as well.

Now to find a DVD player that works ... Kaffeine gives an unknown error
message.

Hope this helps some other SUSE laptop user and thanks to all for the
advice.

Rick