laptop question

Richard Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 16 03:29:58 CST 2003

You may have to combine instructions you find from several sources to
get everything configured as I have.  There is no guarantee that any
 distro is the best at everything.  I wish they would all get together on
 supporting all the old hardware.  Have to admit though that Redhat has
 been pretty good w/ autodetection.  You might try Knoppix or Morphix
 (Debian underneath) as a bootable CD on your laptop and see how it
 does.  I'm using Morphix and and it's pretty good.  I just got my
 wireless card working and next need to work on Sound.  Tuesday I'm going
 to try to get a USB webcam going on it.   This is an old laptop (233)
 that doesn't have very much info out about it.  Good Luck.

    Brian
 ---------------------------
 Somewhere there is a village missing an idiot.

(Is that village in Texas?)

      THANKS to all for the feedback! One thing I am liking about Linux
flavors, is that if one does not work in a particular situation, then
another one might. I have a long way to go before I know how to tweak with
confidence, but I would rather have as much as possible work from the start
... I don't derive great pleasure from "re-inventing the wheel" because some
distro left out some basic drivers that another one has politely included in
their bundle. Then again, the "buggy", or abreviated distro might actually
inspire me to actually learn a thing or two. All in good time ...

Rick