laptop question

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Nov 15 21:48:51 CST 2003

Rick Franklin wrote:

> SUSE 9.0 does not appear to be as user friendly on the laptop as it is
> on the desktop, where there are still a few minor problems with minor
> applications.
>
> On the laptop (Toshiba Tecra / Pent. 600 / 256 RAM), there is a 1 1/2"
> black border around the viewable display, and the speakers play
> static. Have played with display properties and tried to enlarge the
> display in Sax ... no budge. PCMCIA well supported. A few other minor
> irritations.
>
> Google led to a few pages and posts where Mandrake and Red Hat were
> touted as having better laptop support.  One Mandrake page listed this
> model as supported.
>
> Any thoughts on best distro(s) for laptops? Life is okay on the WIN 98
> side ... just looking for justification to make this unit all Linux.

You may have to combine instructions you find from several sources to
get everything configured as I have.  There is no guarantee that any
distro is the best at everything.  I wish they would all get together on
supporting all the old hardware.  Have to admit though that Redhat has
been pretty good w/ autodetection.  You might try Knoppix or Morphix
(Debian underneath) as a bootable CD on your laptop and see how it
does.  I'm using Morphix and and it's pretty good.  I just got my
wireless card working and next need to work on Sound.  Tuesday I'm going
to try to get a USB webcam going on it.   This is an old laptop (233)
that doesn't have very much info out about it.  Good Luck.

Brian