linux certification

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Nov 15 11:40:00 CST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:09:12 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:
> Leo J Mauler wrote:
>
> > I got the CompTIA Linux+ cert a few months ago.  The job offers
> > aren't pouring in yet.
>
> So, how was it?  Hard?

Well, it covered a lot of areas which don't come up much with home use of
Linux, so for me it was harder than someone who already works with a
Linux server.

The test itself reminded me of a combination of A+ and Network+, with a
Linux focus.  In fact, if you're going to get a Network+ anyway, it pays
to take the Linux+ first as TCP/IP and networking hardware is covered on
Linux+ rather heavily.  You have to know how to install Linux for both
workstation and server installs, and you have to know all the maintenance
stuff.  I rarely use cron and naturally it was about half a dozen of the
questions.

Now the test itself is questions randomly chosen from a number of Linux+
areas.  It took me about an hour to complete.  I've been told that it was
an adaptive test (but how can you tell?).

> What study materials did you use to prepare?

I picked up a really thick test preparation manual.  I knew I was
deficient in the maintenance and server areas of the test, so I didn't go
for ExamCram.  I bought something which covered everything that might be
on the test in detail.

> How much study time do you recommend?

If you work with Linux servers and handle some of the networking
hardware, you probably already know enough to get by with a basic text
and a few months study.

Since I don't work with a Linux server daily, I took about six months to
study for mine, and I scored fairly high on the test.

> I would hate to take any cert. test and not be ready, since they are
> all so expensive.

If you join CompTIA's professional organization, the price of their certs
becomes that "member" price you might have seen on their website.  The
discount off non-member pricing is anywhere from 10% to 25%.

Ironically, I took my Linux+ cert at 25% off because of some junk mail I
received from CompTIA after completing my A+.