Fedora

Zscoundrel Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 11 03:44:23 CST 2003

I saw something a while back about this in one of the RH errata lists.
 I believe the idea was to stop reinventing the wheel as mySQL was doing
a good job of keeping on top of the updates.

I would like to see them allow other vendors to roll out updates through
the up2date platform.  There would have to be standards requirements,
but this way we can specify what we want and it would notify me when new
updates are available.  Open Office, mySQL, bluefish and any other major
software provider that supports the RH platform could use the channel as
long as they have proper testing and verification procedures.

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Ryan Beisner (AE) wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Anyone have words (good or bad) about Fedora Core 1.  Any first-hand
>> experience is welcome.  I'm a long-time RH user and I'm getting ready to
>> either test out Core 1 or go with RHES.  I generally don't need
>> support as
>> such, but vendor updates and patches are a concern.
>

> No experience with Fedora, but if you go with RHEL version 3, be aware
> that RedHat pulled out the database servers (both mysql and
> postgresql), apparently for inclusion in an as-yet-unreleased add-on
> product, so be prepared to roll your own or grab them from non RH
> sources if required.
>
> Apparently, no one runs any php/mysql websites on RedHat systems, or
> maybe they just like alienating their customer base (they've sure been
> annoying me!  Not just with the removal of the SQL servers, but with
> their total lack of mentioning such a major step in *ANY* online
> manual, migration guides, readme files, etc).

Those who understand binary, and those who don't