Redhat rant/review

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Mon Nov 10 20:08:31 CST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Brian Densmore wrote:

> But RH doesn't seem to call the ~/.bashrc so when I type ifconfig it comes
> back and says ifconfig not found.

You can fix this in /etc/profile, look for something like the following:

# Path manipulation
 if [ `id -u` = 0 ]; then
        pathmunge /sbin
        pathmunge /usr/sbin
        pathmunge /usr/local/sbin
        pathmunge /usr/local/java/bin
 fi

and change it to:

# Path manipulation
# if [ `id -u` = 0 ]; then
        pathmunge /sbin
        pathmunge /usr/sbin
        pathmunge /usr/local/sbin
        pathmunge /usr/local/java/bin
# fi

> It's rather irritating, but maybe they have a good reason for it.

I agree it's annoying. This is one of the things I usually change right off
the bat when setting up a new RH box. I like to use sudo and I don't like
having to enter the full path for commands in these directories. I can't think
of a "good" reason why RH does things this way. A normal user isn't going to
have the perms to execute things that should be restricted so why keep them
out of that user's path?

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

Thus spake the master programmer:
	"You can demonstrate a program for a corporate executive, but you
	can't make him computer literate."
		-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"