Redhat rant/review

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Nov 10 18:57:22 CST 2003

Same thing in Mandrake. If you su, it executes the ~/.bashrc changing
the path string in the environment, but still retaining some environment
variables of the user. But if I su - then it is like logging in as root
and the entire environment is set to root's. But RH doesn't seem to call
the ~/.bashrc so when I type ifconfig it comes back and says ifconfig not
found. It's rather irritating, but maybe they have a good reason for it.
I'll explore it more later. I won't be trying Fedora though. At least not
on any box I want to be stable. ;)
Of course I'll need to recompile most of the packages for a Pentium so it runs
as fast/faster as my Mandrake did by default. Although my Mandrake wouldn't
run on anything less than a Pentium class CPU and the RH will supposedly.

Brian