installing or using a CD burning package

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Nov 7 23:26:21 CST 2003

Mike Needham wrote:

>Ok... This is all good, I have decided to try to use K3b but it does not have
>the MP3 decoder installed.  I went to the sourceforge page and downloaded MAD
>and compiled it and such, but it still doesn't have the MP3 plugin
>installed... I am wondering if anyone has used it.
>
>Also, I'd like to see about Arson if it is good, is there a package I can
>install under SuSE 9 or will I be compiling that by hand too?  Someone got a
>link to the latest version of Arson?  Basically, because I am dealing with a
>DVD+RW drive, K3b seems to be the way to go if I can get it to make audio CDs
>from my Mp3s :-)

You are setting yourself up for a world of hurt by doing all this
compiling and installing from source. SUSE has a package manager for a
very important reason. At this point, I would be going to each of the
source directories from which you have installed and "make uninstall".
After this, you may need to reinstall SUSE depending up whether or not
you overwrote any core system files. Did someone from our LUG tell you
to do this?

Package managers prevent library version collisions. They manage
configuration files. Without them, in a matter of a month, there will be
so much cruft on your system, I doubt you'll be able to install anything
and expect it to work. Use the SUSE packages for _everything_. I cannot
stress this enough.

Regarding Arson, as I said, it's included in KDE. If KDE is installed,
Arson is installed. If KDE is not installed, you'll have to use SUSE's
package installer to install it. It is usually comprised of
approximately 15 separate packages that _only_ SUSE will understand how
to install it properly.