installing or using a CD burning package

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Nov 7 22:40:22 CST 2003

I've had horrible luck with K3B, it just doesn't seem to want to work for
me.  Started a one-sided flamewar on comp.os.linux.advocacy with me
saying "it didn't work for me" and some K3B advocate screaming
obscenities at me for "badmouthing K3B when it works for everyone else".

Never tried Arson, but I've read articles about it in LinuxFormat
(UK-based Linux magazine, better than anything American even if I do get
it a month later) and its supposed to be comparable to Nero on Windows.

I've been using gcombust just because its easier to use than XCDRoast,
and it probably comes standard on any GNOME install you do where the
installer has detected your CD-Burner.  If SUSE does a GNOME install,
then you probably have gcombust on there too.

I tend to want to process MP3s into WAVs first, just to make things
easier for the CD-Burner.  If you have the drive space, you might want to
do that first, as it will save some time later when you burn audio.
Also, I've got some really old radio show MP3s (the shows are old, not
the MP3s) which decode at half the duration and a pitch up about 12
semitones (so the actors sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks).  So to burn
them properly as audio, I have to dive in and not only do a pitch shift
of -12 semitones, I usually then have to resample to 44100 from their
default 22050 (yes it degrades the audio, but we're talking about mono
radio shows here.  The comedy shows even occasionally make jokes about
"we're now going to broadcast in stereo so those of you without stereo
sets (i.e., most of their audience) are going to miss the punchlines of
the next few jokes").

I've had to do that and then recode into MP3 again because I have a CD
Player which can do MP3s but insists on at least 128K MP3s to play them.
32K MP3s sampled at 22050 don't cut it, so I have to do a lot of
conversion and end up with MP3s again.  I tend to make 256K or even 320K
MP3s at that point just in case I do some audio CDs later, but 128K
allows me to fit several seasons of "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again" onto
one MP3 CD.

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:41:08 -0600 Mike Needham <jmneedham at kc.rr.com>
writes:
> Ok... This is all good, I have decided to try to use K3b but it does
> not have the MP3 decoder installed.  I went to the sourceforge page and

> downloaded MAD and compiled it and such, but it still doesn't have the
MP3 plugin