Linux: Good Despite Version Numbering

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Thu Nov 6 10:54:02 CST 2003

I was just posting on UseNet the other day, and realized that my
preferred Newsreader, SLRN, is still on version 0.9.7.4.  It does
everything I need it to do.  It doesn't crash by itself.  And it isn't
even up to version 1.0.

At the public library I was trying to write some notes down of a book I
was researching, so I cracked open Microsoft Office (I think it was the
XP Version).  This is a version of Office which has to be at least
version 4.0, right?  Crashed trying to enter in a simple text document
with some basic RTF text formatting.  I had to reboot the machine.

So its probably more an Open Source issue than anything else, but I was
marvelling at the concept that Open Source projects are more functional
and less crash-prone at version 0.9 than most Microsoft products at
version 4.0 and higher.  In fact, I think I'm using some music player in
Linux that is still on version 0.4.