Lets clear up some misconceptions

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Nov 5 20:33:00 CST 2003

Saying "Microsoft = crap" is even more inaccurate than saying "Novell = crap".
It also puts you at a serious disadvantage when trying to develop Linux
solutions, because it gives you the illusion that the alternative is "crap",
and that your application has only to be a bit better than "crap" to succeed.
I think we've all encountered examples of applications that thought they were
the ultimate Microsoft killer, when they were actually just a clumsier
implementation of the same tired ideas.

Microsoft has written some of the best software in the world, and where
someone else has written better Microsoft has consistently either bought or
stolen it.  Their weaknesses are in their arrogance and in their attitude
that generating markets is more important than providing workable, secure
solutions.  The fact that they offer one product - Windows - that runs
everything from Grandmaw's web mail to the control systems for nuclear power
plants is their biggest flaw.

If we're to offer the world realistic alternatives to the WallMart of
operating systems, we need to look at them realistically.  We need to avoid
FUD against Microsoft as much as we need to refute FUD against Linux.

We don't need to exaggerate or fabricate problems with Microsoft products to
do better than they do - the real problems are there, waiting for us to offer
alternatives.