[KULUA] Re: Looking for alternative to Redhat

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Nov 5 17:13:32 CST 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 09:14 am, Kris Bodenheimer wrote:

> Enterprise = workstations, servers, desktops etc, but not silly LUGS,
> joe shmoe sitting at home installing the latest kde, etc.  Enterprise =
> profitable business...

I dunno, Kris.  A lot of Linux servers are out there because they were free to
build on "surplus" hardware, and they did the job.  If there had been a
four-figure up-front licensing cost the project would have been done with a
"surplus" MS license instead.

I run a server for a non-profit organization that will NOT be migrating to
either of RedHat's Enterprise offerings.  I don't know for sure that the
"Workstation" version will have been dumbed down like an NT Workstation, but
they need a server, not a workstation.  They're locked into a product that
was built on RedHat 7, and a lot will depend on what the third-party
developers choose to move to.

I think there's a certain chance that the Linux community will continue to
support and maintain the older RedHat releases because they're in exactly the
same position this non-profit and I are in.  They'll build RH7 RPM's from
source releases where necessary, and share them with the public.  As far as
that goes, the older RedHat's won't be any different than Debian.