[KULUA] Re: Looking for alternative to Redhat

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Wed Nov 5 17:06:54 CST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:14:23AM -0600, Kris Bodenheimer wrote:
> Rick Meeker wrote:
>
> Enterprise = workstations, servers, desktops etc, but not silly LUGS,

Not all of us are "silly."

> joe shmoe sitting at home installing the latest kde, etc.

I don't use kde. I prefer command line for tasks I can do that way,
and for gui stuff, I use fluxbox. Much lighter than the packaged
desktops like kde and gnome.

> Enterprise = profitable business, home users = frickin idiots.

Why am I a frickin idiot just because I am a "home user" (actually a
"SOHO" user).

I got onto Linux a little over a year ago, and have been using it ever
since. I had no knowledge before of *nix systems. I started with RH7.2
and am now on RH8.0. I began with simple desktop, and now have a
one-floppy router running IP Masquerading, a dedicated server that
connects 5 machines (small SOHO) - both Windows (varios versions) and
Linux.

I don't think I'm the target for RedHat's "Enterprise" solutions, but I
may be on the bottom edge of that group. I could pop the bucks for the
support (what is it, $80?). But, I probably won't. And, I probably won't
stick with RedHat, unless I do so for marketability purposes later (i.e.
just in case I need to get a "real" job, I could maybe pick up some
RedHat certifications that could help me along with my presently held
BSBA in accounting).

But, I don't know... I don't think I'm "silly." I generally take things
very seriously. I don't look for the latest whizbang "kde" (or any other
gui toy). I usually find what works to get the job done well, and use it
until I find something that works better. And though I may be a frickin
idiot, my being a home user does not have much bearing in that area of
my life. It's mostly a personal problem...

I like my Linux. I've used RedHat ever since I started. I'm not a
professional geek. I'm a missionary and college professor in Central
America. But, I'm catching up. I'm learning. RedHat or no RedHat.

Not all home users are silly Joe Schmoe frickin idiots. There are a few
out there that enjoy taking Linux seriously.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4i on Red Hat 8.0 Linux
Curridabat, San Jose, Costa Rica