Red Hat pulls plugs on Red Hat Linux product line

Dan Mesimer dmesimer at kc.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 17:49:31 CST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 10:10, Chris Wagner wrote:
> ouch.
>
> Well, guess I'll have to go to another distro.......

Not necessarily...you should check out http://fedora.redhat.com
Its the fork/branch from RHL.  Now Redhat has RHEL and Fedora Redhat
Linux (FRHL).  From what I hear from other sources (read other geek
lists) Fedora is using yum as packaging (rpm..??) system which provides
a better dependency resolution, etc.  It'll be interesting to watch.
Fedora should be issuing a release some time this week (it was Monday).
Of course you could grab the pre-release.

Also might want to watch the cAos project (http://www.caosity.org) And
from what I can tell, at least on eof there 2(?) versions will be based
on a rebuild of the RHEL 3.0 SRPMS.

Redhat users are not out in the cold.  Just have to look.

> > Red Hat maintenance and support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 will
> > end as of 31st December 2003, and for Red Hat 9 as of 30th April 2004

Update support for 9.0 up to April 20th, 2004 only cost $20 (FYI for
whatever it's worth).

--
Dan Mesimer <dmesimer at kc.rr.com>