Failed to install socket filter

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.net
Mon Nov 3 18:28:08 CST 2003

What exactly are you trying to do Brad?

If you're adding a second NIC to a RedHat system, it's pretty easy although
some releases don't do it automatically.  If that's the case, let us know
(again?) what cards you're using and we should be able to walk you through
it.

It sounds a bit as though one of your issues may be installing two
interfaces on the same logical and physical subnet.  That can be done, but
it's considerably more interesting.  Although I know it can be done,
automatically load-sharing between the interfaces is not standard linux
stuff.  You can use virtual machines with the respective cards configured
seperately; you can use applications (such as Apache) that can be told which
card to use.

Personally I'm not familiar with sub-interfaces - the eth0:(n)
specifications.  As far as I know using those specifications require that
all of the applications specify which instance of the interface they're
talking to, and some default applications do not allow it.

Give us a clearer picture of what you're trying to do and we'll try again.