Distribution

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 02:22:36 CST 2003

Hi All,

Big surprise at work today. Some of the agency's
systems folk are interested in learning about Linux.

(Background: A few of our folks came to us from the
mainframe world. A lot of them came from the agency's
social service technical side and were taught our IT
side. This means Windows servers and mainframe
applications. They don't know anything else.)

Now a couple of them want to put Linux on a server
recently pull from the line. (I figure no more than
three years old & fairly powerful when new.) Basically
they want to do a test drive and see what all the fuss
is about. I doubt they are more than marginally
interested in Linux for the desktop at this time.

Any suggestions for distributions and documentation,
and/or books would be welcome. Downloading and burning
ISO's on Windblows machines would be no problem.
Connecting a Linux box to the Holy Network is out of
the question.

Best,

Bob Kennedy