Spam Advise

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Fri Mar 28 03:05:48 CST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Aaron wrote:

> I receive anywhere from 800-1000 emails a day and roughly 700-900 of them
> are spam.

Wow. I thought my 20 a day was pretty annoying.

> After careful discussion with my wife I have come to a couple conclusions.
> [snip]

That's one of the most hilarious bits of email I've ever read.

> [snip]
> So I came up with another idea...  I've developed a system by which
> incoming spam is either filtered or gets sent (manually) to a script that
> strips the header off and saves the e-mail address it was sent from.  Once
> the address is on the list, all other e-mails that contain spam from that
> e-mail, or others sent to be put on the list are routed to every e-mail
> address currently on the list.  What this does is send roughly 800-1000 spam
> e-mails a day back to the people sending me spam.

Clever, humorous, but I don't think it will have the desired effect. Most
spammers don't read any email they receive at the addresses they send spam
from. Most spammers get their accounts automatically through various online
services and then pipe through as many emails as they can until the ISP shuts
down the account.

> My question to the group is this:  What do you think the legal
> ramifications of this are?

IANAL.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

This was an ancient indian fiber burial ground! Ooooo, scaaary, eh kids?
No, I mean, tax-free online gambling.  Brrrrrr!
-- Steve Nordquist, Re: Satellite ISP, 11/30/00