BBQ (was Re: Finally starting preparations for the move...)

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Mon Mar 24 01:37:28 CST 2003

"Kendric Beachey" <ak at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> For your future reference, after you move here, I'd have to say Gates
isn't as
> bad as the two fellows below would have you believe.  Nearly any place in
> town that puts out a sign saying "BBQ" is worth trying at least once.

...and stays in business for a few months.  If you don't make good BBQ in
this town, you won't last long.  The customers have way too high standards
to allow the crap that passes for BBQ in a lot of other cities.

  A guy I work with was based in our Boston office for a few years, and he
would have KC BBQ FedEx-ed to his office from time to time.  One day he was
out of the office when he got a cell call from his boss saying a care
package had arrived - the boss seemed confused as to why someone would have
ribs shipped to Boston when there were perfectly good BBQ joints there.  So
my co-worker said "I'll tell you what.  When I get back to the office, I'll
fix some of those ribs up for you and anyone else who wants a taste."

  Now they understand.  Whatever those restaurants in Beantown sell, it
ain't BBQ.  There needs to be some other word for what they sell.

  In that respect, those Bostonians are like MS users.  Until they get a
taste of something better, they don't know how bad they have it.