Finally starting preparations for the move...

Phoenician phoenician at phoenixcolony.com
Sat Mar 22 16:32:22 CST 2003

<snip>
>The numbered roads are not avenues.  The numbered roads run north and
>south.  Some of the east-west roads are called avenues, Kansas Ave,
>Riverview Ave, but there is Paralell Pkwy, and Leavenworth Road, so it's
>no better that KCMO & Johnson Co.  Can you say, Southwest Boulevard and
>Southwest traffic way, and Mission road, Shawnee road, Shawnee Mission
>Pkwy?  It's very confusing for someone who hasn't lived here for awhile.

And I quote:  >>>> Don't quote me on that though....

I said that for a reason, I don't drive over there. HENCE me saying, don't
quote
me on that but thank you for adding valuable navigational insight concerning
KCK.
As for Southwest Traffic way, and the other aforementioned streets, yes they
can be
confusing at first but I was able to overcome that short lived confusion by
reading
noting the extensions of Traffic way vs. BLVD; Mission Rd, Shawnee Rd, and
Shawnee Mission Rd
also provided brief bouts of second guessing that was over come by attention
to detail.

I don't know whether or not it was noticed, but my area of local knowledge
that was provided
primarily dealt with the Plaza/Westport area.  Which, IMO <I guess I'll have
to start prefacing
my comments with that> can provide some of the most frustrating driving
experiences in town.
Why? Because of one way streets, non-connecting streets, streets with
multiple names, streets and
FUBAR'd uncontrolled intersections, pedestrians that cross AGAINST the
light, pedestrians that
DO NOT use the cross walks.  Hell, I even avoid driving though the Plaza
from Friday afternoon to
Sunday night and weeknights during rush hour.  On the weekends, Westport is
no better, esp weekend nights.

>And what's wrong with KC, KS?  We have the fastest appreciating property
>values in the metro area.  My appraisal went up 40% this last year.  We
>are beginning to reap the pain of the new race track, and now we start
>paying for it.  But, with the exception of the first 30 blocks west of
>Missouri, there is nothing wrong with KCK.  That's no different than the
>first 30 blocks east of downtown.

What's wrong with KCK? Nothing I guess once I get past the realization that
every
episode of COPS _I_have_seen_ that has been in Kansas City took place in
Kansas City, Kansas.
Now mind you, there are places in KCMO, like say....38 and Bails, that I
would if offered
$100, maybe 4-way server with hot swappable bays but not $100.

Here's a story for you:

My first driving in KC I was on I-70, headed east.  I knew that my
destination was on the 700 block of W. 38th St.
I didn't know that I had to take I-35 South. I saw an exit for 38th St. I
was on the KS side of KCK. I met a lot
rude people that were not willing to help me (or were ignorant, feigned or
real).

About two weeks later I was on I-70 headed West, it was 12:30 am and
raining.  I misjudged my distance from the
state line, hopped off on the Van Brunt exit (I think) because I saw a sign
for 38th St.  I did not recognize
my surroundings.  I was able to get directions at a gas station and realized
the I was way east of 7** W. 39th.
The clerk was not overly helpful with directions and I ended up driving
through the inner city @ 1 am the entire
distance on 39th St.  Not an experience I want to repeat.

The point is there are plenty of areas that I prefer to avoid, I only
expressed my opinion of KCK
because it was an aside to a comment that was made highlighting the fact
that I am ignorant concerning
navigation in KCK.

>I think you need to be careful about expressing your prejudices, when you
really don't know what the hell
>you are talking about.  Fear and ignorance are the root causes of
predjudice.
>Which one do you have more of?

Thank you for reinforcing _my_opinion_ of things related to KCK.
Let me ask you, which is worse?  Fear and Ignorance or Intolerance and
Aggression?
I would say 'Intolerance and Aggression' (IMO) because ignorance and fear
are natural
and more easily overcome.  Everyone starts off as being ignorant, and everyo
ne still
retains a fair amount if ignorance.  People only cure ignorance through
education.
Once understanding occurs, the fear, if any, subsides. Intolerance and
Aggression
can only be kept in check through guidance or chemical treatment.

I have more experiences pertaining to KCK to support my opinion of it, so I
don't
know if it could exactly be said the I am prejudging KCK.

However, I would like to thank you for aggressively categorizing me as
'Ignorant and Fearful' prior to
making my acquaintance.   Ignorance, I fear, <sigh> will be a stigma that I
will have to carry until
I achieve omniscience.

- Michienne

~ ~The lips of wisdom are closed except to the ears of understanding ~ ~