2 Camps for Flash Was: Just one "plug" for Flash

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Wed Mar 19 21:44:44 CST 2003

There are two camps that everyone falls into with regard to Flash and some
people fall into both depending on why they are on the Internet.

There is the "Looking for entertainment so Flash is OK" camp.

If someone is on the Internet looking for entertaining sites, they would not
mind going to a site that uses Flash because that is its primary use.

When I had RoadRunner and more free time on my hands, I used to visit Joe
Cartoon on Linux.  However, I do not visit the site anymore because now the
only way to access the Internet is via dial-up.  Downloading Flash via
dial-up is painfully slow and even though I might have `some' time to waste
I don't have that much time.

And then, there's the "Looking for content and useability so Flash is BAD"
camp.

If someone is on the Internet looking for information or a job, like me;
they are not going to want to use a site that uses Flash because it gets in
the way.

I for one don't like to use sites geared toward information or provide some
type of `Application' if they use Flash as well because Flash provides a
constant distraction and now-a-days brings my system to a crawl.  In
addition, I'm on a dial-up connection and when I'm looking for information
or want useability I don't what to download a lot of cruft just to get at
what I want.

Now there are some sites I use that have small Flash elements to them but
generally the Flash elements are entertaining advertisments and I use
Privoxy to strip them out.

I would challenge anyone who is a developer to read books on interface / Web
/ content design and useability because years have been spent on
researching how humans interact with computers and how information is best
viewed / interpreted.

One last note for you Web Developers:  If you use `click here' or 'here'
links in the Web sites you design, shame on you!

Avoid online-only aspects
(http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/style/docstyle-no-online.html)

Style guide for online hypertext (http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/style/)