Garmin (was Re: Jobs?)

Kendric Beachey ak at kc.rr.com
Sun Mar 16 15:14:10 CST 2003

Disclaimer:  I work for Garmin but I don't speak for them.  The following is
merely my own observation.

True, the engineers do everything on Windows.  All the software you would run
to interface with your GPS unit only runs on Windows.  There are some open
source projects that will at least let you transfer some of the data in and
out via Linux, but transferring maps still has to be done via Windows.
(Windows via VMware should do this just fine, although that is a pricey
solution.)

But inside the IT department, especially in the internet/intranet stuff, open
source is the norm.  I even go so far as running Linux as my primary desktop
(and use VMware just to read email).  Several open source packages that
became part of our setup (and several that didn't) were first an unofficial
pilot project on my desktop.

My advice for catching on with Garmin is BE PATIENT and don't get discouraged.
We hired about 175 people last year from about 23,000 unsolicited resumes.
With that kind of flooding, the HR department can't get anyone through the
pipeline in any less time than a few months.  My own way in actually involved
having a good friend in the IT department, but that isn't the reality for
most people.  I'm not even sure that would work now; I myself have zero input
into (and awareness of) the screening process.

A final note--the job threads that pop up on the list every now and again
really make me feel for you guys.  Not a day goes by that I don't thank my
lucky stars that I have a job, a job that I really love.  Keep your heads up
folks!  Things may look bleak, but fulfilling jobs really are out there!
--
Kendric Beachey

ak at kc.rr.com

DVD decryption in seven lines of Perl code:
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map{$_%16or$t^=$c^=(
$m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;$t^=(72, at z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16
-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0, at z)[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h
=5;$_=unxb24,join"", at b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$
d=unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d8^($f=$t&($d12^$d4^
(($h=8)+=$f+(~$g&$t))for at a[128..$#a]}print+x"C*", at a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval