Garmin (was Re: Jobs?)

Jeremy Oberg jeroberg at comcast.net
Fri Mar 14 05:43:19 CST 2003

I don't know what the IT department is looking for, but the engineering
side won't interview candidates that do not have a 3.5 GPA or higher.
I think all their phones are handled by the phone company.  Their
firewall appeared to be Raptor running on Solaris 2.6 .  They use all
Dell equipment. They are switching from NT 4 to 2000 on the desktop.
Their advertising department runs Macs. They run a mixture of
Novell/NT4/2k on the server.  They run perl scripts on the desktops for
versioning.  I think they're still using Star Teams for software
development.  Last time I talked to them they seemed very opposed to
Open Source Software in production (who is going to support it?  All we
know is proprietary X), their IT department handles EVERYTHING
internally (absolutely nothing outside!)

That said Friday, Cessna is announcing who they are selecting for their
integrated cockpit selection.  If Garmin wins the contract it should be
several hundred million dollars, so I bet they would be hiring.

-Jeremy
They currently have job openings listed
http://www.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/jobs/index.html