Neighborhood "portal" or tiny ISP-type web app

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Sun Mar 16 02:02:37 CST 2003

On 3/15/03 10:41 AM, "Charles Steinkuehler" <charles at steinkuehler.net>
wrote:

> I've mainly been looking at the various Nukes, but they all seem way too
> complex for what I'm looking for, and more geared towards a news portal
> type site.

Charles,

I used to think that about the 'Nukes too... Then I realized that you don't
have to make the News Page the "index" page; it could be anything you want.

If what you're looking for is an "all-in-one" solution for User Accounts,
downloads, calendars, message boards, etc, etc, etc, then a CMS like the
'Nukes will do just fine.

Another option is to take a mature BBS like phpbb (www.phpbb.com) and modify
it to include other modules. There are hacks and mods out there that can
turn a phpbb into a feature-rich CMS... In essence they build the 'Nukes
from the inside out, starting from phpbb.

I'd really recommend PostNuke. I've used it - and I'm not too skilled - to
create impressive and feature-rich websites, using only tools created by
other coders. It's really "plug-n-play."

Or, if all you're looking for is a secure User Registration solution, check
out Private Area (google it), which is an all-in-one, low cost User Reg
script.

-SD