More on "Censorship"...

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Sat Mar 15 17:05:22 CST 2003

Thank you Jason for reframing the issue in such an articulate manner.
 It really is about the corporate media conglomerates weilding it's
mighty economic power to punish an individual's freedom of speech.  Just
like the DMCA, MPAA, RIAA, DRM and the other nasty three and four letter
words that infringe on the freedom of individual rights.

However, that being said, I think that in the end this will go down in
history as one of the greatest marketing ploys of any band, at least any
country band.  Censorship never works in the end.  How many of you would
have ever even heard of "A Catcher in the Rye" had it not been banned?
 How about Salmon Rushdie's Satanic Verses?  Censoring someone or
something usually makes them martyrs.  When you consider that 80% of the
world's population is against the war in Iraq, and would be sympathetic
to someone being ashamed that the (p)resident (and the vice (p)resident
for that matter which is wholly unconstitutional but that's for another
thread) is from their home state, I'd say that they are playing the odds
pretty well.  The Dixie Chicks were big in country and bluegrass music
circles, but now they are world famous!  They will go down in history!
 I'm telling you, censorship nearly always backfires.

Just like Microsoft's FUD about Linux has backfired, this childish
behavior on the part of corporate media will backfire.  Like the saying
goes, there's no such thing as bad press.

My $.02
Jim Herrmann